This is what it was like for us in the Metrodome: When we entered the Dome, we had to go through the air locks that are sort of like getting sucked into a tornado. If we had papers on our tray or caps on our heads, they would be left behind outside the stadium! Once inside, we could only sit with one companion, so too bad if you were with a group of three or more. There were always bars in front of us that obstructed our view of the game. Imagine missing a game-winning play at home plate because a metal bar was in the way! Also, much of the handicapped seating was located where people would walk in front of you and stumble over our chairs, especially the drunks!
Obviously, the Dome was horrible for fans in wheelchairs. We hope that Target Field will be much better. This is what we are looking for:
- Good views of the whole field
- Bigger, better and accessible bathrooms
- More than 1 companion seat next to wheelchair seating
- Lower concession counters
- Wider concourses
- Places for wheelchair users to get away from crushing crowds
- New sound system
- Accessible Budweiser roof deck
- Twins Clubhouse access (wheelchair users only!)
Okay, maybe we won’t get Clubhouse access but we hope we get the rest of this list. We’ll report in after our tour.
We want your requests and questions to ask, too, before we take the tour. Post them here.
Written by: Michael L. Sack and Sam Graves